Sunday, January 30, 2011

WHADDDUPPPP



I got to say that Web 2.0 has definitely affected the lives of many to a great extend (applies only those who uses the web!). As we progresses to Web 3.0, the effects and adoption of social media becomes more rampant.

I am in the generation whereby I saw the birth of these social media websites; sites that become very popular due to the fact that people are able to voice their opinions to reach a more global audience. Some sites include Stomp, Mr. Brown Show, etc.

Bloggers like mrbrown adopt new technology and trends such as podcasting to ‘blog’. One of the few main reasons I like about podcasting is that I can easily download it off from the website or subscribe to it on itunes. In that way, I am able to carry it around on my ipod and listen it on the go. Podcast replaces the need to read an online blog which may be very mundane and boring with tons of words to read. You just have to listen to it, that’s how simple it is!







I really like the way mrbrown does his podcast is because he always discuss current affairs that happened in Singapore in a humorous way. Somewhat shedding light to the issue, yet making fun of it at the same time. Throw in some music, some acting, funny imitation and accents, sarcastic or lame jokes plus an original song, BAMMMM, you get a podcast. Seems a lot in a bag isn’t it but the magic of it is that it reaches out to many Singaporeans! Let’s take a look at some of the podcast he made… (These are my favorites.)



Venturing into participatory online media, sites like Stomp has became very popular. It is a news site where any citizens are able to post news, pictures and others are allowed to comment on it. Stomp, to me, is pretty much a gossip site where many petty news gets publish.

I sometimes get bored and ventures into Stomp to have a look see. Sometimes, I just have a good laugh as there is much petty news such as complaints about bad behavior on public transports, funny characters that are seen in public. I agree that this is a good avenue where citizens are allowed to rant about issues and I just find it very entertaining. Nowadays, Singaporeans have coined the term, ‘kena stomp’ or ‘let’s stomp it’ which means to post it onto stomp’s website.

Here is the link to stomp! http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/singaporeseen/

More recently, I have shifted from using MSN messenger to using SKYPE. I did so as because most of my closer friends shifted too. Moreover, most of them are studying overseas and the only way that we can converse is through instant messaging or by video call. Incidentally, Skype offers both and it’s free! Thus, we can call one another through the internet without having to pay additional costs. Even though MSN messenger has almost the same features as Skype, I use Skype more often because of its exclusivity, lesser adverts and its user friendliness!

Summing up, here is funny video that I found on YouTube…


















1 comment:

  1. I enjoy Mr Brown's podcasts too because they focus on local issues and I am able to relate to them. Thanks for sharing those interesting podcasts!

    ReplyDelete